Connecting to an earlier post we consider, as a model of radiation from a gas, a string instrument consisting of a vibrating string spanned over bridges on a soundboard with
- soundboard = radiating gas
- forcing of soundboard by vibrating string through bridges = incoming radiation
- sound waves generated by vibrating soundboard = outgoing radiation.
- string is plucked into vibration
- string vibration over a sequence of frequencies (harmonics) = incoming radiation
- soundboard vibration in resonance with string vibration through bridges
- soundboard vibration generates sound waves in surrounding air = outgoing radiation.
- passive: when picking up the string vibration by resonance = incoming radiation
- active: when generating sound waves = outgoing radiation.
Recall that CO2 alarmism is based on downwelling longwave radiation DLR as "backradiation" from the atmosphere to the Earth surface, measured by special DLR-meters fabricated according to a formula defining DLR in terms of temperature. But the formula is non-physical and the measured DLR has no physical reality.
The above discussion describes a periodic state with the string continuously being fed energy so that a sustained sound is generated. The dynamics of the model includes momentary input of energy into the string by plucking followed by transfer of energy from the string into the soundboard followed by transfer of energy into sound waves. The analog dynamics of radiation can be described as follows:
- start-up with the string and soundboard at rest: Earth surface and atmosphere at 0 K
- plucking of string: Earth surface is heated (during daytime by the Sun)
- vibrating string makes soundboard vibrate by resonance: Earth surface heats atmosphere by radiation
- vibrating soundboard generates sound waves: atmosphere radiates to outer space
- string loses energy without renewed plucking = Earth surface is cooling during night.