An Open Letter to the American People signed by 68 Nobel Lauerates endorsed reelection of Obama
in 2012 with the following motivation (repeated in a political speech after the Nobel dinner by Chemistry Awardee Lefkowitz, see PS below):
- President Obama understands the key role science has played in building a prosperous America, has delivered on his promise to renew our faith in science-based decision making and has championed investment in science and technology research that is the engine of our economy.
- He has built strong programs to educate young Americans in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics and programs to provide Americans the training they need to keep pace with a technology-driven economy.
- His opponent supports a budget that, if implemented, would devastate a long tradition of support for depends, as never before, on innovation. He has also taken positions that privilege ideology over clear scientific evidence on climate change.
- As a nation we must continue the investments that revolutionized agriculture, invented the Internet, gave us modern medicine and enabled a strong national defense.
- Abandoning this tradition would be ways to science and innovation, we urge you to join us in working to ensure the reelection of President Obama.
- privilege ideology over clear scientific evidence on climate change.
The Open Letter can be seen as a shameless support of the BIG BLUFF of CO2 alarmism. And who can question the combined wisdom of 68 Nobel Lauraetes?
PS Nobel Laureate Lefkowitz told the Swedish King (starting at 3 min 50 sec) in his speech:
- We just had a presidential election in the US. One of the fought-lines in the campaign was the role of science plays in shaping public policy decisions.
- A clear anti-science bias was apparent in many who sought the presidential nomination of one of our major political parties.
- This was manifest as a refusal to accept, for example, the theory of evolution, the existence of global warming much less the role of humans in this process, the value of vaccines or ... stem cell research.
- Each of us Laureates aspires in our own way to do what we can to counter this.... anti-science.