This is a reposting of an earlier post.
The Earth's energy budget is surveyed by
- pyrgeometers on ground measuring downwelling longwave radiation DLR (GEWEX)
- bolometers on satellites measuring outgoing longwave radiation OLR (ERBE and CERES)
- $DLR$ = heat flux from atmosphere to the Earth surface (in W/m2)
- $OLR$ = heat flux from atmosphere into outer space at 0 K (or 3 K)
- $DLR = V/K + \sigma T_i^4$ = $DLR$-Pyrgeometer Formula
- $OLR = E + \sigma T_i^4$ = $OLR$-Bolometer Formula
- $T_i$ is measured instrument temperature
- $V$ is voltage measured by pyrgeometer sensor and $K$ is a sensitivity coefficient
- $E$ is heat flux measured by a bolometer thermal link.
- $E = \sigma (T_a^4 - T_i^4)$
- $\sigma (T_a^4 - T_i^4) = V/K$ with $DLR = \sigma T_a^4$,
- $\sigma T_a^4$ is heat flux from a blackbody into outer space at 0 K.
- $\sigma T_a^4$ is not heat flux from the atmosphere to the Earth surface because there is no such heat flux because $T_a < T_i$.
- cleverly constructed with a clever mixing of $OLR$ and $DLR$,
- cleverly covered up in technical documents presenting the non-physical $DLR$-Pyrgeometer Formula as a version of the True Stefan-Boltzmann's Law, which expresses one-way heat flux from warm to cold,
- hiding that the $DLR$-Pyrgeometer Formula represents a False Stefan-Boltzmann Law expressing two-way heat flux with in particular heat flux from a cold atmosphere to a warm Earth surface in violation with the 2nd Law of thermodynamics.
- The CGR 3 is a pyrgeometer, designed for meteorological measurements of downward atmospheric long wave radiation. The CGR 3 provides a voltage that is proportional to the net radiation in the far infrared (FIR). By calculation, downward atmospheric long wave radiation is derived.