If you are a strong supporter of Einstein's general theory of relativity, like almost all modern physicists, then maybe you would be open to see the following connection with the Neo-Newtonian
theory I have been exploring in recent posts, with the gravitational potential $\phi$ viewed as primordial and matter density $\rho =\Delta\phi$ as derived by local action in space of the Laplacian $\Delta$ and with the gravitational potential playing the same role as the "space-time curvature" of Einstein:
- space-time curvature tells matter to move along geodesics
- gravitational potential tells matter to move according to Newton's 2nd Law
- space-time curvature connected to matter by Einstein's equation
- gravitational potential connected to matter by Poisson's/Newton's equation.
- Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve,