- The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them....To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies — all this is indispensably necessary .
Yes, it seems that also physics requires DoubleThink, at least in the fundaments of physics of quantum mechanics and relativity theory, where it has been elevated to Principles:
- Wave-Particle Duality: Matter exhibits both wave and a particle properties.
- Complementarity Principle: Some objects have multiple properties that appear to be contradictory.
- Superposition: Schrödinger cat both dead an alive.
- Wave-function Collapse: Superposition of different eigenstates—appears to reduce to a single one of the states after interaction with an observer.
- Correspondence principle: Contradictions of quantum mechanics not seen in classical physics because of large quantum numbers.
- Equivalence Principle (gravitational and inertial mass equal): Both definition and physical fact.
- Constancy of Speed of Light: Both definition and physical fact.
- Different people may have different views depending on position, while each person follows coherent SingleThink.