- My intention is not to replace one set of general rules by another such set: my intention is, rather, to convince the reader that all methodologies, even the most obvious ones, have their limits. The best way to show this is to demonstrate the limits and even the irrationality of some rules which she, or he, is likely to regard as basic.
- When and how was the secret of flight revealed in the form of the New Theory of Flight?
- Why did it take so long time (100 years after the first sustained powered flight)?
We could thus "understand" slightly viscous bluff body flow, such as the flow around a wing, in analytical mathematical terms as potential flow modified by 3d rotational separation resulting from instability of potential flow separation.
We then used the general principle of science that "understanding" of a physical phenomenon means capturing the main features of a mathematical model of the phenomenon in "understandable" analytical terms.
We thus used a "method"consisting of
- solving the Navier-Stokes equations computationally,
- comparing the solution with the potential solution,
- analyzing the stability of the potential solution.
Why did it take so long time to reach this relatively simple insight? Because computational solution of turbulent solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations became possible only 100 years after the first powered sustained flight.